Marina Antunes [Celluloid 01.31.11] movie news short thriller drama

Last week, Tyson Johnston impressed the heck out of us and many of our readers with a trailer and effects reel that promised to deliver some great things for his short length film Exist.

We've been waiting patiently for more information on the project and this morning Johnston was good enough to send over word that the film was now available online and it's impressive.

What I love most is that in seven minutes, Johnston builds interesting characters that I care about and though there aren't any mind blowing effects on display (though from his demo reel, we know he's capable of doing them), Johnston keeps the story very much about the people and the experience. He's currently working on raising funding to turn this idea into a full length feature and I'm all for it. We'll keep you posted as details on the film develop.

As for what else Johnston has in store... he has a number of other short sci-fi films in the works for release in 2011. Stay tuned to this space for more information on those as for now, check out the full film after the break.

rek (9 years ago) Reply

For some reason Bloody embeds don't play for me here.

Same player as Twitch uses. You have trouble there as well? Or is it all videos on QE?

When we get a moment we'll rip it and get it into a different player. Check back.

You have to disable Adblock or Adblock Plus to watch those embedded players ... I usually just unblock, refresh, play, enable adblock.

Rev Wright (9 years ago) Reply

Sorry, but was expecting al ot more form this. MOts short sci-fi films appear to be FX reels raher than narratives

Sam Davis (9 years ago) Reply

^
I don't know if they ran out of time or what but the whole "Hold up man, I gotta go check this out" was just meh.

The abduction scene was pretty creepy though and the interrogation scene as well, but the way that the reached that ending was kind of whatever.

I liked this. Acting was decent, fx were cool, was a good short film.

rek (9 years ago) Reply

Agentorange - It's only certain video players here. YT and vimeo work fine, for example.

(I used to be a big fan of Twitch, but the site redesign two years ago was a huge turn off, sorry to say. Haven't been back.)

uncleB (7 years ago) Reply