Christopher Webster [Celluloid 02.08.11] United Kingdom movie trailer news horror thriller

Wicker Tree is Robin Hardy's sequel to the cult classic The Wicker Man. Here's hoping it's better than that remake with Nic Cage.

Synopsis:
Wicker Tree reunites the director with legendary actor Christopher Lee for a story "in the style of" the 1973 film. Keep in mind this is NOT a direct sequel, but it does explore similar themes.

The plot for the film centers on Beth and Steve, a gospel singer and her cowboy boyfriend, both Christian members of a no-sex-before-marriage pact they call 'the silver ring thing', who leave Texas to preach door-to-door in Scotland. When, after initial abuse, they are welcomed with joy and elation to Tressock, the border fiefdom of the sinister Lachlan Morrison, they assume their hosts want to simply hear more about Jesus. How innocent and wrong they are.

Check out the trailer (via: DC) after the break.

Rangi of the Light (8 years ago) Reply

This looks much to have much more potential than the horrible Wicker Man remake of the year of our lord 20 hundred and 6. It promises to be better simply by virtue of being devoid of Nick Cagery. If it's anywhere near as powerful a religious parable as Christopher Smith's Black Death it should be worth watching IMO.

ReplicA (8 years ago) Reply

This could be very good. I"m really looking forward to it. If it can come anywhere close to the original, I'll be one of the first in line.

@Rangi, is that post a joke of some sort? Just curious

I guess they cannot refer to Wicker "Man" for copyright reasons, so its, er, a Tree now

Its not "Tree" because its not a remake.

This looks like it will Very Good!

Rangi of the Light (8 years ago) Reply

@Replica: Not really. I admit Nicholas Cage is a bit funny. Saying the date like Black Adder is a bit funny too.
Like you, I think this movie looks good. It looks better than the 2006 remake coz it doesn't have Mr "Drive Angry" Cage in it. I compared it to another movie that I liked that seems to have similar themes of Christianity versus Paganism.
If you haven't already, go and watch the trailer for "Drive Angry". I think it might be the worst movie ever.

Scott (8 years ago) Reply

I saw this trailer introduced by Robin Hardy at the Bram Stoker International Film Festival, Whitby last year. Mr Hardy was presented with an Award for the Wicker Man. He said the Wicker Tree was part of a trilogy !!