Marina Antunes [Celluloid 02.25.11] post apocalyptic movie news short scifi dystopic

2100. Nuclear war has wiped out most of mankind and left the Earth’s surface uninhabitable. The survivors head underground surviving in a brutal, oppressive society run and monitored by the Company. When a Company satellite crashes, The Company pulls one of its grunt workers, James, out of the lines to retrieve it. Given 16hrs of air and a tracking device, James heads up to the surface but what he finds is no satellite.

Admittedly Benjamin Parslow’s The Rat King borrows from a lot of great and classic PA tropes but he has set his sights well beyond expectations of just a fun short film to deliver a project that works on a thinking man’s level too. Though James’ particular story feels complete, there are a lot of unanswered questions at the end of this film and I wouldn’t mind finding out more about this universe.

It’s not as grand or showy as some of the other short films we’ve featured over the years but Parslow’s film has features some nice cinematography, design and a great overall feel for the universe he’s created. It may not be as visually striking as others but it definitely makes up for it with ambition which it delivers on.

So to help you through the rest of this Friday, Parslow’s entire short film is presented after the break for your viewing pleasure.

shiteater (8 years ago) Reply

"It’s not as grand or showy as some of the other short films we’ve featured over the years but"

That's a bullshite statement.

This site is full of cocksuckers. This was visually stunning and well done.

You'll never be as level or thorough as TWITCHFILM.
Idiots.

Go read Twitch then asshole.

shiteater (8 years ago) Reply

I get banned if I talk shit one there. This site is sweet for trolling. Besides there is some decent coverage on here as long as it's contributors don't post their opinions.

Marina (8 years ago) Reply

Hey Shiteater - if you never noticed before, we're "fans first." our opinions are part of the deal. If you don't share them, that's fine - I have no issue with you sharing that. As for Twitch... They're as opinionated as we are. Sorry our opinions aren't good enough for you.

My opinion is that shiteater is not visually stunning or well done, and that he is not as level and thorough as TWTCHFILM.
Dick.

shiteater (8 years ago) Reply

Ha, hell yeah. You think I'm a dude. Sexist moron.

Good point Shiteater. You do seem like a little bitch.

Actually, the sexist moron is a gal named Susan. So yes, I am sexist. I didn't think a member my own gender could be such an ass.

shiteater (8 years ago) Reply

This director's other films are really good too. Check out his vimeo. I was particularly fond of BOZU.

Very well done.
Also, his blog is pretty interesting. He's a decent illustrator also.

Niggerhadaids (8 years ago) Reply

i pooped my fuckin pants.

Blood (8 years ago) Reply

company=vault tec
satellite = water chip
jim = vault dweller
the smiley robot guy kinda reminded me of a talking version"Michael" from A Boy And His Dog

Shocbomb (8 years ago) Reply

I Don't understand the whole point of the film ? Why not just make him into the mindless cyborg there underground after you found out he was not taking his meds ? Why send him on a journey to retrieve a so called satellite and have the rat king do it ? Watched the ending a few times over now and I am Still very confused on the point this film his trying to make. Biggest question I have is why would the company even send him and not just make him into a cyborg there ?

Star Beast (8 years ago) Reply

This film was great! I liked that the ending was more ambigious and left for interpretation. Most films are so overtelling that they ruin the imagination of the characters, leaving you feeling satisfyied but never questioning. This film made me think days after viewing. Well done. I also see the influences from many other sci-fi's.

Jacki LaVerra (8 years ago) Reply

I think i understand the ending. Arkus transends James' body to his utopia (the pictures from the beginning with his wife) and dumps the body back underground for the company to find. He says "I can't save your body, but I can save your mind". This made me feel Arkus had some connection with the Company previously. The newspaper headlines also support this theory "Chief Scientist", "experimentation gone wrong". I think Arkus is a mutant because of a direct result from his own genetic experimenting. He ultimatley saves James while giving the company another cyborg. Maybe I'm just theorizing...

Michael Allen (8 years ago) Reply

Haha, what is with the troll on this board. His comments should be deleted.

This was a great film, but I was totally confused by the ending. I will have to ponder this one for awhile. Thanks for posting.

-Mike