Christopher Webster [Celluloid 03.17.11] Tuvalu post apocalyptic movie news scifi

New Zealand post-apocalyptic series, The Tribe, has become quite the phenomenon. Never heard of it? Might be because you're not a tween, but it's spun off 18 bestselling novels and two soundtrack albums over its five-year run on television. Impressed? The show's creator Raymond Thompson's not. Variety reports that he's got his sights set on a feature film produced with the hopes that it will lead to yet more: A TV show Stateside, as well as comicbooks, videogames and merchandise.

"I always wanted to do a movie version and work with a bigger canvas" to explore the world set up in the TV show, Thompson told Variety. "With the right director, it would be exciting to explore the themes" of kids building a new society.

"It speaks to young people," Thompson added. "What's inherent in all of us is this idea about young people changing the world."

Synopsis:
Where the virus came from, no-one knew... from deepest space, bacterial warfare or some nation's scientific experiments gone horrifically wrong? All the Adults are gone... All the teachers are gone... All peace and regular meals are gone... Just tribal instincts and war paint survive. If survival depends on not getting caught by the evil Locusts or rival cyber gang Demon Dogs or just finding your next meal... then the only option is to start your own Tribe.

300 half-hour episodes of "The Tribe." Last new episode aired in 2003.

The Tribe is available on R2 DVD

Aruta (8 years ago) Reply

Wait a minute, isnt that the same premise as used in Jeremiah? :)

MEGAT0N (8 years ago) Reply

I've always wanted to watch this, but five seasons of 50+ episodes each would be quite an investment in both time and money. I'd watch the movie though.

ReplicA (8 years ago) Reply

I was all excited to check out a series I hadn't heard of before, till I read "...of kids building a new society." And my interest dropped to 0 immediately.

Ah well, maybe I'll find something else some other time...

poisonpunk (8 years ago) Reply

its well worth the time to watch this.
ive got all the episodes on dvd.well worth the time

Diggler (8 years ago) Reply

Being an Aussie, I've seen quite a few episodes on TV. It is created for a tween audience, and suffers from some bad acting. Overall it is quite an enjoyable show that could translate very well to the big screen.

I've seen some episodes.

It's a kids show. I'd say age 7-13. It's a show for little kids. The big bad monsters are just tractors they put flame throwers on.

And the tribes are ridiculous and could never survive in reality.

But it's a kids show so who cares.

I do. It's postapoc!

chuck (8 years ago) Reply

The book The Girl Who Owned a City had a more realistic approach to this idea. Anyone else ever read this one? It was for a YA audience. I gave my copy to a buddy's girls and they loved it.

Aladdin Sarsippius (8 years ago) Reply

I read it chuck.
It was in scholastic weekly/weekly reader in
school when I was a toddler mid 70's thereabouts.
Got me down the ol PA road from then on out.
Still have the copy (few pages missing after it gets continued in the back though arrh).
Good Story!