Christopher Webster [Celluloid 05.20.11] movie news book scifi dystopic gallery adaptation

So, the first image of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen has emerged courtesy of Entertainment Weekly and the internet is aflame with affirmation. "I love it! She looks so badass," exclaim the interneterati. I say f' that, mofos. This is all wrong in so many ways I don't even know where to begin.

Never mind the fact that Jennifer Lawrence is too old to play Katniss. For now, let's just focus on her shiny, vinyl jumpsuit which apparently she just picked up from FCUK's new fall line of rain wear. And what's with her state-of-the-art lacquered bow and shiny silver arrows that look like they were forged in the guilds of Lothlorien? I call BS.

I don't know about you, but when I read The Hunger Games the world was a dystopian nightmare where kids fought, not only each other, but for a friggin' piece of bread to take home to feed their family. This is a world where the ruling class has decreed that children should fight each other for sport. I didn't realize that the kids were so sassy in their designer jeans. basically, what we have here is a bullshit out by a bullshit director who should have never taken the reigns on this project. Period.

Based on the popularity of the books this movie will make a king's ransom at the box office, but it'll clearly be mainstream crap. Suzanne Collins has said that she's behind the project 100 per cent and that surprises me. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it, but so far I'm not impressed.

What do you think?

more images after the break.

shiteater (6 years ago) Reply

Totally agree. Phuck this shite.

matt (6 years ago) Reply

isnt everything they wear/use in the arena from the capitol? Which is very much rich last time i checked. Her outfit in the arena doesnt is supposed to be a jacket boots pants blah blah blah pretty basic stuff. Nothing in the picture bothers me, i thought it looked great, just my opinion

But all the equipment is supposed to look new -- it's supplied by the Game Makers. They have invisible hovercraft and can control the weather, so they can obviously afford shiny new gear for the competitors. The game is mostly for the entertainment benefit of the citizens in the opulent Capitol, which thrives on excess. Makes sense the kids wouldn't be whacking each other with tree limbs and rusty old weapons.

fear-death-by-water (6 years ago) Reply

Good point there anon. If this Katnis in the Arena then yes indeed she would be all decked out in sparkles.

The Capital did this with the full intention of accentuating the dichotomy of the haves (the citizens of The Capitol) and the have nots (everyone else).

I'll still give it a chance. Just a single one though.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but this is clearly her games outfit, which means the capitol supplied weapons, which are described as silver, a high tech jacket that reflects body heat, and he after she has been shaved/waxed/polished to shit, so until you personally adapt a book into a movie and can attest to how freaking hard it is then, "I call BS. F that." and F yourself while you're at it.

This is an annoying case of someone who throws an abusive opinion out to the internet without knowing what the hell they're talking about. Did you even read the books, or just the Wikipedia synopsis? It is BEYOND obvious that the images of Jennifer Lawrence that have recently been released are of her in the arena, wearing Capitol supplied gear, just as the other commentors have said. I mean, come on! She's wearing the pin and her bow is SILVER. Whoever wrote this should be beyond embarrassed and should reconsider their hobby of bitching about things just for the sake of bitching.

Well said person above me. Clearly in the arena.

Yep, just another "let me jump on the popularity of this movie/book series by throwing out an 'against the bandwagon' BS post which makes no sense just so I can get hits on my site" post. Well played.

Oh, and by the way, in the books... Katniss even comments on how she has to adjust to the capitol bows because they're so sophisticated and nothing like the bows she's used to....

Post your address so I can mail you a damn copy.

Michelle (6 years ago) Reply

Yeah I read the EW article yesterday when I got it in the mail and this outfit IS her arena outfit so it fits perfectly. I'm not jumping to conclusions on how good the movie will or won't be, but the outfit does make sense, so in reading this post, all I could think was the writer didn't even know what they were talking about.

juandiegomez (6 years ago) Reply

Did you really read the book?

You're right. She's too old.

uncleB (6 years ago) Reply

They are filming some of this in my town. My niece got a small role and I will be on set with her at all times because she's a minor. Im kinda excited about this one.

Wow. Hunger Games fans are ALL angry.

John (6 years ago) Reply

They might be hungry?

Anorexia does not look good on everybody though.

chuck (6 years ago) Reply

The butthurt grows exponentially as the thread progresses. Keep an eye on the guage- I don't think it can take much more.

We'll need Uwe Boll to clean this mess up:

shiteater (6 years ago) Reply

Still totally agree. Fuck this shite.

Getting all indignant about tween literature. Try reading something adult for a change!

this will be battle royal for the twilight audience. FAIL

Newt Clements (6 years ago) Reply

I read the first book of the series. We'll have to wait and see. However, I think Isabelle Fuhrman was a bad choice to play Clove. She's not intimidating in the least, even when she's playing a homicidal dwarf.