Marina Antunes [Celluloid 06.27.11] movie trailer news action fantasy

I have to agree with agentorange who, when he posted the first trailer for Tarsem's Immortals, mentioned that the genre was in need of a little love. This project had me curious when Tarsem was announced as the director but they locked in my movie ticket when they cast one of my favourite up-and-coming actors, TV's Henry Cavill as Theseus.

The first trailer looked really spiffy as does the second which premiered this morning. Lots of nice looking, hyper stylized visuals with more than a dabbing of CG oil. I would have preferred it if this had gone a more naturalistic route but I'll take the 300-like approach. Hopefully the story will deliver the goods. Sounds promising enough…

Years after the Titanomachy, the Titan Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) declares war on humanity. He searches for the Epirus Bow, a legendary weapon created by the war god Ares, which will allow him to free the rest of the Titans from Tartarus and take revenge on the Olympians who brought about their downfall. In accordance with ancient laws, the gods are unable to take a side in the war between Hyperion and humanity. It is left to a peasant named Theseus (Henry Cavill), chosen by Zeus (Luke Evans) and accompanied by the priestess Phaedra (Freida Pinto) and a slave (Stephen Dorff), to protect his homeland and save the gods.

Looking good. Excited to see Cavill on the big screen, hoping this means that Dorff is finally making some sort of come-back but also hopeful I have the option of skipping the post-conversion 3D.

New trailer after the break. Be sure to also check out the wallpaper size character posters here.

Immortals, luckily, was shot in 3D, not post-converted.

Marina (6 years ago) Reply

Hey Anon - would love it if you could provide a link for that info. Everything I've read to date has said it's being post-converted. Would LOVE to find out otherwise.

Cyrus (6 years ago) Reply

I do love mythological films but this struck me as a bit pants.

The thing that really made THE FALL stand out - the brilliant exterior locations - are gone to be replaced with a limited palette and dull CGI. Rourke is hamming it up, Pinto is pretty but limited and I can't stop staring at Cavill's hilarious muscule moobs. The big speech was rubbish and most of the CGI fights looked pretty dull.

I'm hopeful, given the handful of arresting images, that there is more too it but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a worst of all worlds: Tarsem's script, 300's exteriors and too-young/too-old actors.

JUDGE FARGO (6 years ago) Reply

Looks completely soul-less, do even the gods need to be choreographed? thought they'd be more 'anarchistic' in their moves.

Getting sick of all the negative comments always on the net. Just STFU about anything if all you can do is be Cynical!

The film looks epic! Nice Kick in the Ass after the mess up they did on Clash of the Titans.

JUDGE FARGO (6 years ago) Reply

If Tarsem made better films with better characters and stories we wouldn't be so negative.

cyclops76 (6 years ago) Reply

Looks bad, too 300ish. Acting looks wooden and the choreography unoriginal, the gods fighting bit just looked plain silly. Hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be a decent film but if what they show inthe trailers is the best they have, this will be an epic fail.

TarsusKhan (6 years ago) Reply

Looks like a film for guys who "get it". Done the reading, Simmons, (Steal from the best I always say.), played all the dopey PC/console games, (Steal from second best as well.), and watched some pretty bad movies...GOR...sheesh, over the years. Looks like a hell of night at the movies!

bill (6 years ago) Reply

Looks like a pile of shite.

gronk (6 years ago) Reply

I want to like it, but that looks like some cheese**** bull****

phantomspacecop (6 years ago) Reply

Haters be hatin'. :P I don't know what you guys mean by "character" and "story", all these Greek mythology dramas are basically the same. Stock characters, stock twists, stock bimbos, stock moobs, yadda yadda. I stopped caring after Alexander. All Tarsem has to do is make it look pretty and he's done his job in dragging my butt to the theatre.

I can't wait till he makes a real story though. If they ever decide to get Dune off the ground, he needs to be the director or else Hollywood will have failed.