Christopher Webster [Cathode Ray Mission 07.12.11] Tuvalu post apocalyptic review news scifi

Not to harp on about this issue, but why does everybody hate Karen? The poor girl was dragged off by Skitters two weeks ago and not only does nobody seems to want to deal with it, but they haven't even mentioned it. Sure they want to rescue Ben and give the new chick, Margret, a chance to get her meat-hooks into Hal, but all the writers have to do to do her missing character justice and make the issue of her disappearance feel like part of the show is this:

Tom: "It's settled then. We leave for Ben tonight."

Hal: "Look, you know I want to get Ben as much as you do. He's my brother. But I can't just leave Karen to those monsters."

Tom: "We all miss Karen. But for all we know she's with Ben and the others. Either way, we won't know until we scope out the target. One thing at a time, kid."

Hal: "Okay. Gosh, I love you dad."

See? Not hard. Instead, Falling Skies continues to skirt major plot points in favour of bash-us-over-the-head character moments and CBS style family drama (pink teddy bears and baby showers anyone?).

So anyway, going to rescue Ben is (yet again) the big mission of the week.

At the end of episode five, the survivors are no closer to discovering how to use the fact that Skitters communicate by radio waves, but we did learn that they like to get their slave kids in a big pile and sleep on them. My gut tells me, this points to the fact that the Skitters are themselves slaves to another race and doing this reminds them of their own young. Either way, the Skitters remain much more interesting than anything going on in camp - a problem that continues to plague the show.

It was good to see Doctor Bloodgood get a shocking little beat that worked to advance her character a bit. Perhaps she's not such an alien lovin' hippie after all.

I'll be first to admit that I'm already missing "Skittles" (the name I just gave the human's Skitter captive). Until next week! Keep your eyes on the skies!

Ugh (8 years ago) Reply

Yep, I guess the skitters really are just another race that the mech aliens conquered and now use as help to enslave/conquer/whatever other planets.
They already hinted at that when they talked about why the mechs only have two legs while skitters have 6.

I'm sure they run into Karen in one of the next episodes. If she was unimportant they would have killed her of.

the show is a failure.
they need to create the scenes as pictures then write what each scene (chapter will be about and how to go about it) then direct and have the acting. It just all seems a jumble mess of ideas with out a clear focus.

jebus (8 years ago) Reply

Ohhhhhh!!! Like we didn't see the doctor getting killed from a mile away! Yeah right. They leave this thing without armed guards? Jesus Christ that whole scenario was fucking lame. God dammit they know we'll still keep watching so they don't even bother!

God, I forgot about that. No armed guards around the prisoner is yet another "convenient" contrivance to make stuff happen. And I'm usually not this picky.

OK so now they have the kid. Finally.
Can we move on to the bigger story? THE ALIEN INVASION!

So far I'm not impressed by the aliens. WTF are they doing? All we ever see is them walking around in shops and schools.

soma (8 years ago) Reply

I wish Ben would just DIE already

Henk (8 years ago) Reply

Karen is listed for 5 episodes on imdb so ...

Well she hasn't been in two episodes, so that means she comes back for two more just to get killed off?

I guess the producers opted to go with Margaret as the teenage love interest. Too bad, there was a decent triangle at work there.

Cletus (8 years ago) Reply

ummm, I thought the black kid was dead when his dad ripped the harness bug thing off him... then there he was all alive and angsted out. I guess I went for a beer and missed something. Anyway, the series sucks. Hate 'em all. But can't stop watching...

well, i like it but the scenes do seem choppy and stuff. i suppose you shouldn't have a movie director try to make tv shows.. it doesn't work

kristey (8 years ago) Reply

i hope that karen comes back she and hel r so cute together beside hel and margaret cant be together cause margaret is older than Hel

Dylan (8 years ago) Reply

Hey everyone! Boy I just started watching this series today, and I'm kind of glad I did. I watched all five episodes today. A few things I am curious about are..

Okay, so they took over and counteracted all military forces, why in the hell are they not using strategic moves now? Why leave the mechs and skitters so spread apart from each other? The logical thing would be to put enough forces in each group to sustain any formidable attack, be it there not really anything left other than a few resistance members.

Another thing is the whole fucking prisoner of war thing. I mean really? Leaving that thing unattended? Why would you not dispose of the harness, either? Just leave it laying around, seriously? Bag that shit. Also, why didn't they communicate with it more? Obviously it knows how to translate it's thoughts through the kids, so they really could have used the kid to get to understand the beings more.

The harness is really an interesting thing itself though. I believe there's more to it than them simply gathering kids to be their slaves. I read somewhere where the harness actually induces a metamorphoses once it is attached to a host for an extended period of time. Which is the same sense of a caterpillar evolving into a butterfly.

It's an interesting theory, because it would indeed make sense. Children would definitely be more probable to undergo such a drastic change of body as their body is much more adapt to change at a younger stage. Sure, the human body isn't primarly able to undergo such changes as our bodies are not developed to, but the harness seems to make the body undergo some changes in earlier stages, as we saw the child undergo a change of superlative strength increases by him being able to do over a 100 push ups in a row without breaking a sweat, which everyone should no, is a tremendous feat itself.

Anyways, I'm tired. I might write some more about a couple other theories I have about this new show. It has it's flaws, yes. But it brings about many interesting possibilities.

ok why i this guy typing all of u r talking about karen and when is she coming back cause we all like having her i the show with hal i hope they being her back cause hel is so lonely with out her

i mean that person is right what is he talking about we r talking about karen and when r they going to save her from the aliens she and hel r cute together beside hel really cares about her hel is really lonely with out her. MAKE KAREN COME BACK NOW OR ESLE

MAKE KAREN COME BACK