Christopher Webster [Celluloid 07.14.11] movie trailer book scifi adventure adaptation

Some footage has finally appeared for Disney's John Carter (of Mars), the adaptation based on the Edgar Burroughs books.

The film, directed by WALL*E's Andrew, Stanton is set to hit theaters March 9, 2012 and stars a pretty stellar cast including Taylor Kitsch (in the title role) with Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe.

Synopsis:
From Academy Award(R)-winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes "John Carter"--a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). "John Carter" is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

Check it out.

The trailer is certainly an interesting blend of elements and genres. Looks like we've got a period costume drama going on, fantasy, science fiction and a just a dash of Western flavour. I'm also surprised to see that it's not a CGI crap fest, but seems to incorporate a lot of practical locations and sets. An interesting approach to creating Mars to be sure. Here's hoping it pays off with a decent story.

I couldn't seem to play the teaser in the widget, but you can also watch it on iTunes.

You might like: Lord of the Rings Extended Editions on Blu-ray

uncleB (7 years ago) Reply

I know its early but damn this looks like left overs from The Last Airbender

gerald thorton the 3rd (7 years ago) Reply

Wow this looks terrible.

Where are the directors with A VISION. Disney... stop taking good projects and giving them to '9 to 5ers'. Find the next Verbinski and you will get a DECENT TRAILER.

whatever.

Marina (7 years ago) Reply

I'm with agentorange on this one - looks promising.

Cyrus (7 years ago) Reply

It's official: all American women are now made of plastic and all the men are scrawny little things.

I wouldn't say it looks terrible but it is astonishing how uninteresting the trailer is visually considering the unique visual descriptions of Burroughs's Mars.

I can't judge a film on if it's good or not based on trailer from the trailer it looks like cheese movie reminds me of those 80's flicks like sword and sorceress....

maybe it will be good though. there trailer is not promising.

Poppabear (7 years ago) Reply

...Did you guys see the same trailer I did? I thought it was amazing.

MrSatyre (7 years ago) Reply

I thought the trailer looked pretty good. Didn't see the problems gerald or Cyrus have. In any case, everyone here needs to relax and remember that this trailer is a rough cut, because the film itself still has a LOT of post-production left to do.

macstu (7 years ago) Reply

i think it looks good actually

MrSatyre (7 years ago) Reply

(from io9) "Iron Man" & "Cowboys and Aliens" director Jon Favreau:

Did you like the John Carter trailer?

Jon Favreau: I cameoed in John Carter, and they showed me footage. I have not seen [the trailer]. I saw a rough version, Andrew showed it to me. It's gonna be great. Just from what I've seen there. I remember meeting Willem Dafoe, and seeing what they're doing. I really feel — and you know it's very close to my heart — I'm [in] the chain of filmmakers who've passed the torch for a 100 years on this one. I'm really proud that somebody is doing it right. And seeing the scale of it, I'm really glad it's not me. It's a huge movie, a huge movie.