Christopher Webster [Celluloid 07.14.11] movie trailer news scifi horror

Do you find it strange that the prequel to "The Thing" is the called "The Thing"? Seems like that would be extremely confusing for anyone new to the property. Anyway, the first official trailer for the Ronald D. Moore scribed prequel to "The Thing" has hit the interwebs today.

Synopsis:
Antarctica: an extraordinary continent of awesome beauty. It is also home to an isolated outpost where a discovery full of scientific possibility becomes a mission of survival when an alien is unearthed by a crew of international scientists.

Of course the question remains, will the creature in the The Thing prequel be as mind-blowing and as cutting edge as Rob Botin's creature from John Carpenter's 1982 film?

Check out the trailer after the break.

The Thing stars stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Eric Christian Olsen, Joel Edgerton, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ulrich Thomsen, Kim Bubbs, Trond Espen Seim, Stig Henrik Hoff, Jonathan Walker, and Carsten Bjørnlund and was directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.

<a target="blank" href='http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-trailers/#/video/f749b83d-e1d0-4983-a918-a9c3914b03c0' target='_new' title=''The Thing' Movie Trailer' >Video: 'The Thing' Movie Trailer</a>

Visit the official website.

Watch for The Thing in October, 2011.

You might like: The Thing (Collector's Edition)

Well, the trailer explains why the "prequal" is also called "The Thing": i've seen literal remakes that were more original...

Nonny Mouse (8 years ago) Reply

Art imitates art about life imitating life. Also dear producers: find a scientist who can pronounce the continent she is on.

Derek (8 years ago) Reply

Okay, so now the Swedes speak absolutely perfect English? Boy that would have made things a lot easier.

It's actually very easy to believe, seeing how learning English is a compulsory language for students in Sweden and has been since the 1940s.

joe schmoe (8 years ago) Reply

wait wait wait....I get it now...there is a FEMALE in this one....THAT'S what makes it different from the other one....boy oh boy, are those Hollywood guys slick or what????

Sunolet (8 years ago) Reply

I find the only real issue to be with this movie is how it's more of a jump out and scare you kind of film, as opposed to the atmospheric paranoia feeling of John Carpenter's film, well that and theres a guy in the trailer who reminds me of Bennings

Martin H (8 years ago) Reply

Swedes? Really? Being funny, or just acting out the stereotype?

Only present when geo-fucked by Hollywood-patriotism aside (well...): Most, if not all Norwegians speak English - to varying degrees. Even scientists from '82. I blame the (erroneous) blabbering in the opening of the original more on the character being borderline crazy than not being able to communicate under normal conditions.

Regarding the trailer itself... As pointed out, this does look more like a remake with a female lead and a bunch of Norwegians and Danes (!) than a prequel.

Or we're simply making an easy mistake seeing how the Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian language are easily mixed up among those who don't know enough about germanic languages

Digger (8 years ago) Reply

This looks terrible, like a scene for scene remake of the (brilliant) original.

Whats the point?

Swedes? Danes? Who gives a crap? I thought Danes were dogs! Can you tell which different state we come from?

Do you speak different languages in different states, retard?

ERIKTHEVIKING (8 years ago) Reply

MY GOD what racist AHOLES YOU "people" are. In Norway we can and are taught english from the age of seven, I believe that the the rest of Scandinavia is the same. Norwegian is a NORDIC NOT A GERMANIC LANGUAGE, and Finland is part of Scandinavia.
If you think the movie is a rip-off then don't watch it!!!
And just what is the problem you RACIST MORONS HAVE WITH US?

stendec (8 years ago) Reply

That'd be nationalistic aholes, most of the Europeans I've met who speak English do a better job than a lot of Americans. And while we are complaining about nothing, isn't there a multinational treaty banning the importation of dogs into the Antarctic now?

Mr Jones (8 years ago) Reply

What was wrong with the first two movies? No need for a Sequal or Pre-qual.

Swedes? I thought they were Norwegian. This movie looks too much like John Carpenter's movie. They should've done a sequel instead showing what happens when the The Thing actually reached a populated area.

chuckstonehammer (8 years ago) Reply

lets be honest, the real reason this looks so bad is because we just saw that amazing 10,000 days after tomorrow trailer and its obviously going to be the coolest most mind freezing movie ever set on ice.

Derek (8 years ago) Reply

Wow... No one got that I was making a joke calling them Swedes? Have any of you actually SEEN John Carpenter's The Thing?

I mean seriously

Alienmojo (8 years ago) Reply

Ahhhh... what sequel Mr. Jones? As far as a frame for frame remake... remember Psycho? If done well I don't mind. But if your gonna do that why bring a stupid woman into it? Like bringing children into Aliens. Never a good idea.

@ERIKTHEVIKING
Actually Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish are all Northern Germanic Languages. And I believe I may have missed it when Norwegians became a race. Really, everybody else seems relatively amicable (by the standards of fans arguing about a movie) you're the one who seems to be talking out of turn
@Anonymous #6
John Carpenter has actually wanted to do a sequel for a while, showing mccready and childs being rescued (the appearance due to the age of the actors was going to be explained as frostbite) but didn't believe that the studio would support it so he has never pursued it. Frankly, I'm glad, as much as I love John Carpenter and his films, he seems to miss more than hit, plus I think a lot of what made The Thing special would be lost in the CGI effects department as the trailer above illustrates

lynnb029 (8 years ago) Reply

r u kidding THE THING they could name it NOT HUMAN or how about the BEAST

ERIKTHEVIKING (8 years ago) Reply

ANONYMOUS if you where not such an Cowardly Racist Idiot I might care and its ACTUALLY western scandinavian language for us Norwegians. If you are english speaking however that is a germanic language and also dutch.
It may have started life as a germanic language but know its OUR language so " kysse meg i raeva " as the VIKINGS say.
SORRY about the spelling fellow Vikingene no language pack on my MAC
ANONYMOUS I mean that in the most PC way of course

ERIKTHEVIKING (8 years ago) Reply

Anonymous GO look it up and while your at it look this up to KYSEE MIN ROMPE

Movie looks really good. Shot nice with nice FX and acting. Looks like it will be very intense and a lot of suspense.
The Female lead seems very strong for her role.
Been a long time since I have seen the actual Thing.

Eriktheviking
1: Calm down, seriously, I'm not even trolling and you're getting pissed
2: Norwegians aren't a race, at all. There are the Australoid, Mongloid, Negroid, Caucasian, and some would argue the Copoid Race, but no separate race for the Norwegians
3: Scandinavian, Norwegian, and Danish are all classified as Northern Germanic Languages by genetic linguists. The reason being, is because it is part of the Germanic language, which is part of the Indo-European family of languages and if you aren't speaking one of the 10 subfamilies of the Indo-European language, you're not speaking a European language.
4: I don't personally care if I win whatever argument you seem to have construed going on, but I'm just informing you of the things I've learned along my path, especially the stuff I learned in my brief linguistics kick (thanks to Snow Crash)

An Indo-European language tree

Bob roberts (8 years ago) Reply

I cant believe the crap i've just read! can you lot calm down? its a movie for christs sake!
1) If you dont like it or have a problem with foreigners, dont go see it!
2) on the 'why bother making it' front, a lot of people wont have seen either of the two previous films. when i saw aliens for the first time a lot of people i spoke to hadnt even heard of 'alien' let alone seen it. like wise when i saw carpenters 'the thing', i didnt know that there was a howard hawks version.
3) and if you dont like stories being re-told, then you may as well not bother with anything made by QT!

Sunolet (8 years ago) Reply

#Bob Roberts: It's not a retold story, its just the part where the Thing gets released, you know, with the Norwegians chasing the dog in the helicopter at the beginning of the film, come to think of it, I wonder if they'll just copy that scene exactly, you know it would be pretty cool if the movie ended with garry shooting the last norwegian like the beginning of the john carpenter version. the Howard Hawks version is great to watch, but the John Carpenter is closer to the story, which I advise you read, it's pretty good

interesting it's being released now isn't it? There is something major going on in the Antarctica right now with military involved and companies creating a front like there interested in the minerals there.

macstu (8 years ago) Reply

Hey ANON you are being insulted by the norwegian guy 'kysse min rompe" translates to kiss my a$$ in there language. "MAYBE WERE AT WAR WITH SWEDEN " HEE HEE

Which only strengthens my point! Thank you macstu, I didn't care enough to look it up, but when I look at it (from an English speaker perspective, English being another German derivative language), you can definitely see it, it kind of looks like "kiss my rump"

macstu (8 years ago) Reply

just watched the trailer again looks AWESOME.
Hope the lovely mary elisabeth winstead doesn't get eaten though.

igormontage (8 years ago) Reply

I like the "original" "Thing from Another World" best of all ... not burdoned down by special effects, just tension, and the thing didn't turn into something that resembled cannibal stew. Oh and yes there was a women in it, and an inteligent dialogue script.

Frodo (8 years ago) Reply

I read the last script. Looks like they stuck to it! Unfortunately, it's just eye candy for fans in the end and geeky fetishistic homage. BTW it's a PREQUEL so look at the Carpenter film to see who survives ;).
p.s. I've seen the original at the cinema, the 82 one dozens of times and the new one looks like it's nothing special; just more self-congratulating film-makers with the nostalgia dollar in focus. Shame.

azzy (8 years ago) Reply

Uhm.. I'm a little confused as to why people are 'country confused' in the original it's norwegian people, and in this trailer, it's the norwegian flag right there on the station. As a Dane myself, i figure that maybe some confusion occurs because Ulrich Thomsen is Danish? I'm quite sure he's supposed to "play norwegian" in the Thing "remake". An no i don't mean anything else with that, than what it states. I have to admit tho, that i loved that the norwegian people ACTUALLY spoke norwegian in the original.