Christopher Webster [Celluloid 08.10.11] post apocalyptic zombies movie news

Part of the pleasure of Max Brook's World War Z is that it takes place after a zombie apocalypse has already occurred and been resolved. The world's basic infrastructure is gone and governments are struggling to pull the world back together.

The main character (played by Brooks) is agent of the United Nations who goes around the globe and collects stories about what really happened and people's opinions on why with the ability to look back with 20/20 hindsight.

But, a new synopsis for the film reveals that Marc Forster's new film starring Brad Pitt will tale an entirely different approach.

Check it out:
The story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself. Enos plays Gerry’s wife Karen Lane; Kertesz is his comrade in arms, Segen.

Very different indeed.

It's worth noting that the J. Michael Straczynski penned script that I read a few years back wasn't like this, which tells me it's been totally reworked and I officially have no idea of what to expect from the film.

Also note that the film has been scheduled for release December 21, 2012.

So, tell me zombie fans: What do you think of all this.

I'm sorry, but...wait...what? So, other than having zombies in common, what exactly makes this an adaptation of the book, then?
same timeline? no.
same character? no.
same broad scope? no.
same themes? well, it's still about zombies!
oh Hollywood. /facepalm.

duffy (10 years ago) Reply

WTF, how can they do this. I am a huge fan of the book (and that’s an understatement). I was lucky, and was able to get my hands on the first copy of the book and was amazed with the writing, imagery and style of the script. It was to good to be true. Of course it was to good to be true. Hollywood always feels they have to take a book, read it. Claim they’re going to stick to the storyline. Hype it as if they are going to stick to the storyline. Then after all that, throw away the book (except for the title, because there will be a lot of clueless idiots coming to the movie with the dreams of a picture perfect world where Hollywood never throws a way the scripts) and rewrite it. Hollywood has to always stubbornly have there own way. But the few times they’ve sticked to the book and collaborated with the writer (the godfather, Harry Potter…) they have made movie masterpieces which make billions of dollars. I could rant on forever. But I will just have to go to sleep tonight, crying and hoping that they were lying about when they said those terrible things and are going to stick to the original script. If i were to make this movie my summary would go a little like this: Gerry Lane is a UN worker who is stuck with the grimly task of documenting World War Z using post war interviews. He travels the world meeting people who served a part in the world. Big or Small.
I would show Pitt traveling the world, going to his next interviewee. We would see how the world has changed and maybe even run into some uncleaned messes (“zombies” for the people who have no funny bone). At the appropiate times during the interview we would see memories narrated by the people who own the memory. Each interview should take about 15 minutes and the whole thing should be Michael Moore style (i would get a documentarist and a regular movie director to co-direct).
Please let this be a lie and someone tell me soon or i will not have any finger nails left (again, for those who lack a funny bone. I will be really nervous and engage in nervous habits). One time again for those who lack brains. PLEASE DONT CHANGE A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G FROM THE BOOK, ESPECIALLY THE SPEED OF THE ZOMBIES BECAUSE THAT WOULD RUIN E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skullan (11 years ago) Reply

I can see why they did it, I just don't agree with it.

People think zombies and want current action, where you don't know what's going to happen. This is catering to the popcorn movie-goers.

Unlike zombie enthusiasts who would want a reflective movie (a change of pace). Instead, we are looking like we are getting the Peacemaker (1997) where you have zombies instead of a nuclear weapon.

coelacanth1938 (11 years ago) Reply

Is there anywhere I can read the whole Straczynski script and dream about what might've been?
Hollywood is going to do to WWZ what Hollywood did to The Postman. And it's going to bomb too.

chuck (11 years ago) Reply

This sounds soooo lame. Oh well- nothing could have matched the film in my head anyway.

oh man.... huge disappointment.

It going to be another generic zombie flick.

Now I'm angry.

The sad thing is, Max Brooks is alright with this apparently, because I remember reading the script had to go through him. Course that doesn't mean it's good.

Diggler (11 years ago) Reply

Sounds like it may not even be worth the effort of watching now. Hollywood has already dug it's claws in, and sucked the essence out of this one.

shocbomb (11 years ago) Reply

Even though I don't like the sound of this news, all I can do is wait and see what the final product looks like. We can speculate & debate this news all we want but the fact still remains the same we will just have to wait and see what they give us for a final product.

Cletus (11 years ago) Reply

Sounds like it's being dumbed down... and/or it's the prequel to a second film that follows the book?

If it ain't like the book then don't call it World War Z....plain and simple.

I thought the J. Michael Straczynski script was already pretty crap.

The studios are now more than ever seeking to max out the margin. and no R rated sombre reflective slow burn is going to do that. Get set for a huge pg13 fuckwad, with brad shit racing around saving the day. Betting my money on some science douche developing a zombie cure just in the nick of time for a super lame finale.

Thank you Hollywood. The book had interesting parts, but overall it was just boring.

jake (11 years ago) Reply

I was in George Square in Glasgow yesterday and saw a sign saying filming for this film was going to be taking place at some point. Thought you might be interested.

soma (11 years ago) Reply

Can't say that I'm suprised really...

Anglebender (11 years ago) Reply

H'wood has developed the ability to suck the fun out of ANYTHING just by having something to do with it.

Turning the book into a Hollywood "blockbuster" is par for the course, to Hollywood this is just another opportunity to cash in. If they could they would try to work in some superheros and a miracle cure.

Normally I don't much care for horror and Zombie fare, before I read this book I was initially very skeptical but once I got into the story I loved the setting, the premise and the structure of the narrative.

I consider the book to be more like a war diary, it's exceptional because it tells a first person account which makes it all the more engaging. But as a movie I could see that most people would think it's boring, try listening to the audio book and it's extremely engaging, especially the part of Todd Wanio's combat experiences(as read by Mark Hamill) and the realism of the story itself.

Most movie fans don't want reflective and contemplative, they want action, explosions and guys doing wire work.

I'm sad that they aren't going to make a movie from the book, they need to call it what it really is, a WWZ movie set in the same universe but not having any relationship to the source material.

This is going to be a typical Brad Pitt vehicle, action, adventure and "romance". Not the gritty documentary reality of the book.

It will be something that appeals to most kids because they won't read nor understand the book as it stands(too boring for their Ritalin addled brains) and will sell DVDs after the run is over.

BTW I love the opening date, December 21, 2012 is the day the Mayan Calendar stops for the present era, ie end of the World...

Daverat (11 years ago) Reply

It's possible that they are doing this story because they have a series of movies in mind.

Michael Allen (11 years ago) Reply

For those complaining of Hollywood, remember this is an industry first. They focus on the dollar as priority and then entertainment. This is how capitalism runs. Money matters. Other things like humanity, community, entertainment are all secondary.

I am writing a paper on the American Dream and it is totally skewing my look at the world at large:)

Also, AgentOrange, there is a spelling mistake at: "Forster's new film starring Brad Pitt will tale an entirely different approach." *take

Great article.

necorium (11 years ago) Reply

I'm still going to hold on and wait for more information. Sure it won't be like the book but it still might be decent (hopefully). Still why call it after the book if it's different. Either there will be a sequel or trilogy, or it's just to cash in on the books name.

Cazart (11 years ago) Reply

Only in a goddamn conference room could someone screw this book up. It's NOT A MOVIE, IT'S A SHOWTIME/HBO MINISERIES. It could have been a cross between "This American Life" and "The Walking Dead" and "Twilight Zone" and it would have been AWESOME. But no, let's do this instead. Face, meet palm.

craig (11 years ago) Reply

They need a concept to tie the whole thing together. The new idea might work if Brad Pitt is trying to convince the governments of the world to enact the Redeker Plan.

shocbomb (11 years ago) Reply

Cazart - I agree 100% and have always thought WWZ would make a hell of a great mini series. The story and its set up is as perfect as you can get for one. I was hoping so much they would go into that direction instead.

Ugh (11 years ago) Reply

Brad Pitt ruins everything. Have you seen Angelina jolie lateley? Isn't it a little too late in his career for brad to be playing an action hero? Lame lame lame. Brad belongs in romantic crapfestz.

coelacanth1938 (11 years ago) Reply

Might as well retitle this train wreck: "Starship Zombies"

Speedy (11 years ago) Reply

Why is it that the major American movie makers seem (on average) to #$%^ up every good idea they grab to make a movie out of?
I know they are all scared of the stupid masses who see anything other then PG13 as the work of the devil, but COME ON!!!!

A sad, sad $%^& SAD day for fans of the book.

Mr Brooks, please take your name off this movie if it is not the book.

wheatley_s (11 years ago) Reply

Fucking new it was too good to be true that the book would make it to the screen. I hope the jackass behind these changes gets herpes!!!!!

Dis Appointment (11 years ago) Reply

Intresting zombie mockumentary turns into generic zombie apocalypse flick.

Oh joy! (being sarcastic)

Jpe (11 years ago) Reply

they are filming right now in Glasgow, Scotland. They set up the city center to look like Philadelphia. Really weird to see American flags here and street signs and stop lights. They have a ton of police cars, ambulances and such painted up to reflect Philly. Pretty cool.

dregj (10 years ago) Reply

this is gonna suck big floppy zombie cock