quietearth [Celluloid 11.24.11] news scifi horror action drama

While we may have to wait until June 2012 to discover whether Scott's latest scifi epic has any link to the infamous Alien, these new photos loudly say to me "Who cares?" It's that statue of some foreign (or domestic?) countenance mixed with a story about the origin of mankind that has me almost convinced that this won't be Avatar. An unoriginal title and the fact that his last scifi flick, Blade Runner, was over 25 years ago had me assuming the worst. With these photos and news that H.R. Giger is officially attached, things are looking up.

Back in July we got our first official look. Entertainment Weekly brings us the latest.

Ridley Scott, director of "Alien" and "Blade Runner," returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

via io9

Rook (5 years ago) Reply

"It's that statue of some foreign (or domestic?) countenance mixed with a story about the origin of mankind that has me almost convinced that this won't be Avatar."

I hope you're right because Avatar was nothing more than a big budget after school cartoon. Movies like Avatar do more harm to sci-fi than good. No more Avatars, please. Time to get back to adult sci-fi and stop with the kids stuff.

I will say that those stills give the movie a sort of retro look, like sci-fi from the '50s. That could work.

loci (5 years ago) Reply

I hate the suits they wear. The moebius designed suits from Alien were much better.
These are like something from the mass effect games.
That face statue looks ace tho.

joe_schmoe (5 years ago) Reply

does anynone else see a bit of "Hellraiser" in the giant head sculpture??? the wire or whatever it is that seems to be sewn into or tightly wound arond the face?? and the rune-ish carvings on the cheeks?? I certainly would not expect a connection there but still it looks pretty creepy...just a thought...

(5 years ago) Reply

I' m curious about what you mean by "unoriginal title." The fact that it's a name from mythology? Was there another film (or book) named Prometheus? Even if there was, why did the title bother you?

(5 years ago) Reply

Trailer is here... crappy quality but still amazing:

Koolz (5 years ago) Reply

Lot of stupid comments here! That large face is the AI of the Alien Ship.

The Pictures have been brightened and enhanced by the editors of the magazine. They don't look like that in movie.