Christopher Webster [Cathode Ray Mission 06.28.12] apocalyptic drama adventure

Damon Lindelof, co-writer of Prometheus and infamous LOST showrunner, is teaming with author Tom Perrotta (Election) to adapt his novel, "The Leftovers" for HBO. The story is about people who are left behind in the wake of the rapture. Yeah I know, it sounds like "Left Behind."

Said Lindelof about the project: "We all look at ourselves in the mirror and think, 'Am I good?' The fact that there's this reaping which occurred, and you don’t make the cut, some of us don't feel worthy, seemed very ripe territory for a cool character drama."

Lindelof was drawn to the project because it takes place in a world where it's now impossible to deny the existence of some sort of miraculous power (read: God).

"You can't be an atheist anymore. It takes us back in time to a place in human history where everyone's lives were dictated by the gods of Olympus or the gods of the heavens. [The book] tries to explain the purpose of it all, and that lined up with the meta level of Lost."

Via: Vulture

Full Book Synopsis:
What if-whoosh, right now, with no explanation—a number of us simply vanished? Would some of us collapse? Would others of us go on, one foot in front of the other, as we did before the world turned upside down?

That's what the bewildered citizens of Mapleton, who lost many of their neighbors, friends and lovers in the event known as the Sudden Departure, have to figure out. Because nothing has been the same since it happened—not marriages, not friendships, not even the relationships between parents and children.

parker2 (5 years ago) Reply

Sounds interesting.

Andrew (5 years ago) Reply

Nothing with Damon Lindelof is interesting for me, he is a quick and dirt story maker, dragging stories that are only interesting in his mind.
Big Scams by Damon Lindelof:
- LOST.
- PROMETHEUS.

Noname (5 years ago) Reply

Maybe it was aliens? Just because the people don't understand it doesn't mean it was the gods.

I bet that's the twist at the end...

guido_jenkins (5 years ago) Reply

I like th alien idea...but true or not, I have nothing but contempt for the "miraculous power" if this savage existence is the best it can offer us...jmo

macm (5 years ago) Reply

It sounded interesting until I saw the mention of Lindelof. I'm sorry, but the man has but one textbook method for scripting, always claims to have the answers but never goes there.

"with no explanation" - well that's right up his alley ...

MensoChuto (5 years ago) Reply

Never Again, leave damon in the "Meh" category locked aways, cause he's only references come from his poop cutter.

wa5 (5 years ago) Reply

If someone from lost is involved... thats enough reason not to waste my life watching it with no result/ answer /ending.... didnt know he had anything to do with Prometheus.. now I know why that sucked.... perhaps if this project tanks as well, he wont work again....

Rann Xeroxx (5 years ago) Reply

Lost was great, GREAT!!! (other then the soap opera but I can forgive that) until the metaphysical BS and afterlife crap at the end. Same with BSG and its crappy ending. Why, why, why?!?!?