quietearth [Celluloid 08.03.12] action thriller

This remake of the anti-commie cult classic has been in the works for some time, and now we have a teaser courtesy of ET. From first impressions, it doesn't look very good and I have a big problem with the studio switching the enemy from China to North Korea. You telling me Kim Jong-il could seperate himself from his couch and his Desperate Housewives marathon? And what the hell is China going to do? Our ICBM's would wipe them out before China's missiles reached Japan. Delivery guaranteed in 30 minutes or less or the next one's free!

However, I'm hopeful for a couple reasons: The original had the same type of hot young actors, and it's Dan Bradley's directorial debut and he's been a stunt coordinator for almost 30 years.

Red Dawn stars Chris Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Adrianne Palicki, Isabel Lucas, Josh Peck, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Connor Cruise.

In Red Dawn, a city in Washington state awakens to the surreal sight of foreign paratroopers dropping from the sky – shockingly, the U.S. has been invaded and their hometown is the initial target. Quickly and without warning, the citizens find themselves prisoners and their town under enemy occupation. Determined to fight back, a group of young patriots seek refuge in the surrounding woods, training and reorganizing themselves into a guerilla group of fighters. Taking inspiration from their high school mascot, they call themselves the Wolverines, banding together to protect one another, liberate their town from its captors, and take back their freedom.

Michael Allen (7 years ago) Reply

Haha, "North Korea invades America." They would not get 50km off the coast.

Megaton (7 years ago) Reply

I like the respect they're showing with some scenes that look straight out of the original, but I'm not sure I dig the more urban environment.

Did they mention a release date?

Marina (7 years ago) Reply

I think it said Nov. 21st. That's the current date listed on IMDb as well.

Rook (7 years ago) Reply

When they switched the bad guys to the NKs, this went from Red Dawn, to Homefront: The Movie. Sigh.

Craig (7 years ago) Reply

The plot switch to NK is ridiculous. It's sad to see Hollywood taking directions from China. Then again, we recently believed Iraq would invade us. And Iran, so why not? I guess people will believe anything.

Papaswamp (7 years ago) Reply

The original movie, China was on our side. It was the USSR, Nicaragua and Cuba that invaded the area in the movie. Might want to fix, your synopsis.

Craig (7 years ago) Reply

Papaswamp, that was the original movie. The writer was talking about the remake, which originally conceived of China as the invader. The studio cowered from that premise out of fear China would boycott its films or take other punitive action.

Papaswamp (7 years ago) Reply

Ah...my slow brain missed that part...though still don't know why they changed the original theme..

Marina (7 years ago) Reply

I saw some images floating around earlier this week which did not look promising. This doesn't help.

I guess I should watch the original at some point.

timcabs (7 years ago) Reply

Just got an idea: communist aliens invade america. That way no one gets offended