Marina Antunes [Celluloid 05.15.13] horror

It looks like another dose of Stephen King is on the way. In a press release from Cannes, the newly formed International Film Trust has announced that they're producing a big screen adaptation of King's 2006 novel "Cell."

The apocalyptic story follows an artist as he tries to reunite with his son after a mysterious signal broadcast over the global cellular network turns most of the population into vicious animals - sound familiar? The multi-director project The Signal shared a very similar story idea. John Cusack has been cast in the leading role of Clayton while Paranormal Activity 2 and Door in the Floor director Tod Williams will direct.

The last few years haven't been particularly good for Cusack who has been involved in some promising but ultimately disappointing projects (with the exception of his turn in last year's The Paperboy which is impressive) so he really needs a win here.

Cell is currently in pre-production and slated to begin shooting in September.

Cell has been in and out of production for a while now, so I'm glad to see someone picked up the ball again. It was with Eli Roth for a while for, I think, a mini-series. Not sure why that fizzled out.

Cusack works in King films because he's a good every man. Cell is a good read.

Missphitts (6 years ago) Reply

My interest is way down with the casting of Cusack in this. He's fine but not at all who I want to see in this type of PA role. All I can think of now is the terrible 2012 film. I LOVE The Cell tho so maybe I'll drag myself to it when released.

I thought Cusack was pretty decent in the King adaptation 1408.

Ozzfather (6 years ago) Reply

Not a big fan of Cusack nor King.

I felt that Cell was a rip off of The Signal, Brian Keene's The Rising, and perhaps Greg Bear's Dead Lines.

In King's defense I doubt he knew about any of those. I think he's in his own world a little bit.

Ozzfather (6 years ago) Reply

King is a well noted voracious reader.

For example, take a look at the last Dark Tower novel... The Crimson King totally ripped off Spider-Man's Green Goblin and Harry Potter at the same time.

Marina (6 years ago) Reply

And if the dates I looked at are accurate, Cell came out a year before The Signal. I think it's just a coincidence.