Marina Antunes [Celluloid 06.13.13] scifi action

It seems like only weeks ago we saw the first trailer for Neil Blomkamp's District 9 follow-up Elysium. In reality it's been closer to two months and with the movie's release due in less that six weeks, the marketing is starting to kick into gear.

At least one TV spot is already floating around the web and now a second trailer has appeared. This one offers up a little more talking, a little more action and expands on the plot a whole lot more, revealing that Max (Matt Damon) is trying to get into Elysium to get himself and a little girl, daughter of a doctor friend of his, medicine.

A bit on the long side, it's still an exciting look at one of the most anticipated movies of the summer.

Elysium opens August 9.

Holy crap. This looks amazing.

j.j. (5 years ago) Reply

I wish they'd keep politics out of films. This looks like class warfare with some explosions. That being said, Chris Bott supervised the CGI which is why it looks so froggin amazing.

Koolz (5 years ago) Reply

The whole point of the film is politics! And it's like now with the FDA oppressing all the cancer research, the very rich hording the health. And who knows what the future will be like, with DARPA working on robotic soldiers.

Film will be EPIC!

Fictis (5 years ago) Reply

Yup, I agree, politics IS the point as it was the case in District 9

Jeff (5 years ago) Reply

Political entertainment...oxymoron perhaps? I'll watch for this locally as it does look to be worth the price of admission. Great update ao!

The politics of this are so broad I would hardly call the film political. The divide between rich a poor is nothing new to science fiction. In fact, issues of inequality dominate most dystopian stories. Speculative fiction exaggerates the world we live in and issues of social division based on the distribution of wealth are very relevant today, perhaps more than ever. I don't see any reason for anyone to get their hackles up over this film based on political leanings unless you're the 1% and you feel vilified by it.

j.j. (5 years ago) Reply

I'm not the 1% but I do find this whole 'rich people are evil' thing a little grating. If only life were that black and white. One of the reasons the planet is in such a mess at the moment is because of the greed of both rich and poor folk. But nobody ever liked to talk about the numptees who borrowed more than they could afford and then expected a government bailout when they couldn't make their mortgage payments. Then the poor middle class guys who made the effort to save properly see their savings wiped out in value as the government prints more money to bail both sets of idiots out (rich and poor) which deflates the currency. But no-one likes to talk about that part of society do they?

I agree that it's an easy way to create a central conflict in your movie. Some (me) might even call it sloppy when, as you say, the truth is more complicated. I'll wait to see the film to pass judgement on this one.

j.j. (5 years ago) Reply

Yes I will do the same. I enjoyed the second half of District 9 very much.

donc48 (5 years ago) Reply

I can only judge by the two trailers. The premise is a old one and well worn one. I wish people would approach it with a more original bent. Judging by the trailers you can see the conflict and the ending.