Marina Antunes [Celluloid 06.04.15] post apocalyptic drama

There was quite a bit of furor over the release of the first clip from Craig Zobel's Z for Zachariah. And with good reason.

The movie, which stars Chris Pine, Margot Robbie and Chiwetel Ejiofor and is based on Robert C. O'Brien's classic novel of PA survival, seems to have strayed pretty far from the source material and that has fans a little upset; especially considering what a landmark novel it is in the world of PA fiction.

Zobel's adaptation appears to unfold like the story of two well intentioned men who both fall in love with the same woman and the drama that ensues from that. It may not be the material of the novel but Zobel has a great penchant for intense drama and I expect that Z for Zachariah will deliver, even if it makes fans of the source material angry along the way. What say you?

Z for Zachariah opens August 21.

Recommended Release:

zaphod777 (5 years ago) Reply

Z for zero interest

zombieja (5 years ago) Reply

I'll watch it because it has a PA theme and it looks well shot, but there should be some kind of copyright law that dictates a title can't be used if it strays a certain distance from the source material.

Adding a third character and creating a love triangle should automatically disqualify the movie from using the title of the book.

uncleB (5 years ago) Reply

@zombieja - if that were indeed true WORLD WAR Z would have never seen the light of day. Brad Pitt screwed the pooch on that one.

zombieja (5 years ago) Reply

Oh, I know I'm beating a very dead horse. People have been bitching about movie adaptations of books since the beginning.

donc48 (5 years ago) Reply

This reminds me of a PA flick that came out in the 1950's or early 1960's. White woman black guy white guy? I spaced the name. If I had not read the article and just seen the trailer I would sworn it was a rehash of that movie.

zombieja (5 years ago) Reply

The World, The Flesh and the Devil with Harry Belefonte. Great movie.

Captharlock99 (5 years ago) Reply

P.C. P.A. Wait till you can buy it used for a $1.00 on e-bay....if you really need to.