movie suggestions?

Discuss everything PA.

Moderators: agentorange, wa5

movie suggestions?

Postby terramama » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 am

Hey everyone, new here. Always a fan of "end of the world" movies, now looking for suggestions. Just watched The Quiet Earth for the ?th time. Any movie suggestions along the same lines. Not so much into the gore and guts, but love the "end of the world now what are we going to do" thing. Would love suggestions, and are willing to take chances on old, odd, small films. Thanks
terramama

Re: movie suggestions?

Postby soma » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:40 am

I watched a film a few days back I'd never heard of which was kinda about the end of the world and a bit creepy. "In the mouth of madness".
----------------------------
take me on my holidays
soma

Postby quietearth » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Ahh in the mouth of madness, that was a great flick by John Carpenter!

If you're looking for good PA flicks I would reccomend:

- Dawn of the dead (original, get the uncut version)
- Threads (BBC tv thing)
- A Boy and His Dog (with Don Johnson)
- Ever since the world ended (a faux documentary)

We have a massive list of (currently) 151 PA flicks if you missed it.

http://www.quietearth.us/postapoc.htm
"We're fans first, journalists second."
quietearth
Site Admin

Postby agentorange » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:46 pm

Yikes, quietearth's sending you right to the heavy stuff, haha.

I just watched Threads again recently. What a reality check.

I would also heartily recommend the uncut Dawn of the Dead though it's definitely got some gore going.
Testament is also a great post holocaust drama about a suburban American community after a nuclear attack as is The Day After.

But if you really want to know the best place to find a comprehensive list of awesome PA films, just click on the "post apocalyptic list" link at the top of the QE home page. It's pretty comprehensive and continues to grow!
Nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
agentorange

Postby wahoodoss » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:34 pm

quietearth wrote:
(snip)
- A Boy and His Dog (with Don Johnson)
(snip)
http://www.quietearth.us/postapoc.htm

A Boy and His Dog A great choice!! I first saw it in the late '70s while in college. One of my all time favorite movies.

wahoodoss
wahoodoss

Postby soma » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:53 pm

I just managed to pick up and rent!!!! a copy of Ever since the world ended. What an amazing film, felt so believable. Characters were well done and the acting was great.

Was expecting it to be MAd Max esque but came at you from a different angle. Quite thought prevoking in the way in which people adapted. I'd say one to be enjoyed even if you were not into the PA genre.

Totally blown away by that one. Cheers for the link up there!
take me on my holidays
soma

Postby quietearth » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:29 pm

I had to wait for that one over a year, and initially there was NO planned DVD release, it just got lost in indie heaven.. Then Cyan pictures picked it up.. It's definitely one of the best PA flicks of all time and you're right, it can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't even a PA fan.
"We're fans first, journalists second."
quietearth
Site Admin

Postby soma » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Blimey, I've just managed to see threads as well now. That is one harsh film. phew, I know we love the genre but after watching that - I really hope no one drops any nuclear bombs. Very powerful film. You really get the feeling of the futility. The image with the woman staring up with her baby...

Lets hope zombies take over the world. Much better chance. I'm stocking up on my canned food and building a bunker now...
take me on my holidays
soma

Postby projectcyclops » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 pm

Threads is a really brutal film! I watched it at a birthday party (not my idea) and two people had to leave the room to be quietly sick in fear, this was a week after 9/11 as well.

Highly Recommend:
Day of the Dead (1985) - worth it for the opening scene and the overall sense of dread and hopelessness.

Children of Men - No human born in 18 years, humanity is fading fast amidst riots, religious uprising and a police state. It has amazing direction.

The Day After - If you're thinking of watching Threads this is a good one to check out first as it's not quite as savage but same theme (Nuclear War).

Enjoy!
projectcyclops

Postby soma » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:23 pm

children of men - there's not that many films that blow me away. that scene at the end where he walks out of the building still chokes me up now. amazing film.
take me on my holidays
soma

Next

Return to Everything Post Apocalyptic