The Mist DVD Cover Art

Discuss everything PA.

Moderators: agentorange, wa5

The Mist DVD Cover Art

Postby agentorange » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:23 am

Hey everyone. Ran across this on Fangoria and thought I'd share...

Seems the Mist DVD will be out on 2 disc SE on March 25th and feature, among the usual batch of special features, a Black and White Version(?). Interesting. To be honest I missed The Mist in the theater and am really looking forward to checking it out next month.
Nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
agentorange

Re: The Mist DVD Cover Art

Postby quietearth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Pretty awesome, and as skeptical as I was, the entire movie is worth watching for the ending alone!
"We're fans first, journalists second."
quietearth
Site Admin

Postby Archive » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Apparently the black and white is a complete refit, color-correction wise, and is the most consistent with the look Frank Darabont wanted to pursue. The more 70's drained color look was to make marketing the film easier - lot of good it did them, alas.

Mr. Darabont calls this film a throwback to the monster movies of the 50's, pre-Harryhausen, but he doesn't give himself enough credit. The performances he got were so honest, and the script was so intriguing, and the film so lusciously photographed, that what he has achieved here is more consistent with Tarantino's brand of homage than anything. In paying tribute to those old monster movies, which I also love, he definitely elevated them through the strength of his craft. It's a wonderful movie, and I can't imagine anyone who loves movies not loving it.

Personally, I'd love to see this as a double-feature with the Invisible Man, through an organization like the Cinematheque. They both deal with how breaking our world can lead one to madness, both are loaded with astonishing sights, and one surely lead to the other aesthetically.
Archive

Postby Archive » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:35 pm

Actually, for that reason, I may end up liking the color version better. The black and white may end up being too literal in it's tribute, but I can't wait to see for myself! That's for sure!
Archive

Postby quietearth » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 pm

This film will always be stuck in that purgatory between extreme love and hate, and I gotta say, such indepth analysis on a poster is quite worthy of a one sheet announcement itself! Nice dude.
quietearth
Site Admin

Postby Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:22 am

quietearth wrote:This film will always be stuck in that purgatory between extreme love and hate...

That's a reaction, so something must be working! For my part, I walked out of the theater in love with Frank Darabont, and very glad to see Jeff DeMunn get so much meat and potatoes on his plate. There's an actor who merits so much more work than he gets, and here he was used to brilliant effect. In every way, that film just gave me the best feeling.
Archive

Postby quietearth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:30 pm

I am still very unsure of Darabont, in fact I didn't like the film until the ending. The fact that he will be doing The Long Walk which is one of my favorite books, scares me.. I don't see him as being able to pull off the artistic edge I feel that something like that needs. It seems all King's stuff gets such a literal interpretation when that's just not how he writes (ostensibly).
quietearth
Site Admin

Return to Everything Post Apocalyptic