Quarantine

Discuss everything PA.

Moderators: agentorange, wa5

Quarantine

Postby wa5 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:05 am

If the government / controlling powers.. called a quarantine tomorrow (swine flu... zombie pox whatever) and you could not leave your home, until the emergency was over, But basic services.. such as power, water and sewer were maintained, how long could you last

Take a look in the pantry, how much food / supplies do you have? is the freezer well stocked?... No warning, so no chance to stock up, how would you fare as of right now..

Personally, I reckon the three people in my home could go for around a month .. portions would be smaller, but we would eat fairly well.
wa5

Re: Quarantine

Postby Saxon Dog » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:58 am

About a year before we had to start eating the cats. It'd be a lousy year tho. Too much old rice and not enough spagetti sauce or spam.
Plenty of Tang tho, so I wont worry about scurvy.
WHAT ELSE COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
Saxon Dog

Postby allen_idaho » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:38 pm

I'd be covered for about the next 10 years, minimum. Most of my food is walking around my pasture right now. Another part is filling my freezer to capacity. And that is after giving half the meat away.

Then I have canned vegetables, fruit, flour, and other goods which should last anywhere from 3-5 years if not more. Plus I can always increase the amount of vegetables I currently grow.

For water, I have a well. I'm good to go on that front. Unlike most, I don't live in the city where I would be screwed during a quarantine.
allen_idaho

Postby soma » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:18 am

I'd be dead within three days
----------------------------
take me on my holidays
----------------------------
soma

Postby Saxon Dog » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Remember the 'rule of three's'. A person can survive for: Three hours without shelter; Three days without water; Three weeks without food.

3 minutes without ammo?
WHAT ELSE COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
Saxon Dog

Postby donc48 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:26 pm

I've been pondering this for some time, If i was stuck at home with power two months. :cry:
You cannot win a bet on the end of the world. You're either wrong and lose your money or you're right and can't collect your winnings.

Karl Denninger
donc48

Postby wa5 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:39 am

Ok, The power and water have gone...

Presumably you had the fore thought to fill anything that would hold water... and put it in the freezer for just such an occurance...

so you have 2 to 4 days of cold food left and a good supply of water... How long can you last now?

Personally, I have a small generator, and always keep a bit of fuel around the place... We have bore water available (doesnt taste the best... but needs must and all that) and a gas stove with stand alone supply and a wood heater that could be used for cooking as well... I dont think my original guestimate would change that much..
wa5

Postby allen_idaho » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:59 am

If the power is out, I'm still fine. Unlike those of you who live in large cities, I have a well. It has a large access cover which I can very easily fit a bucket up and down through.

Aside from the well, I have a creek which runs through my property. It may need some filtering and boiling before drinking, but it is still available. Every now and then the power goes out here anyway. So I usually take a bucket to the creek and bring it back so I can flush the toilets if necessary.

Generating power is fairly easy. I have everything I would need to build several generators. I also have plenty of fuel around for my tractor, lawn mowers, chain saws, etc.

You get a lawn mower engine, an alternator, a pulley, and a v-belt. Throw them together and viola. One working generator.

I've also got one important resource you would probably overlook. Cow ****. Lots and lots of cow ****. By building a simple anaerobic digester, I could harvest large amounts of methane gas which could then be used for cooking or heat if necessary.
allen_idaho

Postby donc48 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:05 pm

If you live in a large city and the power goes out for any amount of time and you’re still there you’re screwed. With out power frozen food spoils you cant heat or cool you home, no phone, and no radio unless you have a hand crank or batteries and traffic turns into gridlock, no internet, no water, sewage you get the picture.
Having a generator is not a good idea in a sea of black with one lighted house where do you think everybody is going including people you rather not meet. If you can pull it off with out the whole city noticing god bless you. After seeing surviving Armageddon on History. If you’re still at home and the power goes out and the biological matter has hit the electoral convenience you’re hosed, deal with it.
:mrgreen:
You cannot win a bet on the end of the world. You're either wrong and lose your money or you're right and can't collect your winnings.

Karl Denninger
donc48

Postby Crysee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 am

Living in Boston, after 9/11/2001 we were told to gather emergency supplies just in case there was some sort of bombing. 10 years later, we still have about 5 huge plastic boxes full of canned goods in our basement. I'm thinking that we would be good for at least a year, including the food we have in our house as well.
Crysee

Next

Return to Everything Post Apocalyptic