Searching for a movie/series from my childhood

Discuss everything PA.

Moderators: agentorange, wa5

Searching for a movie/series from my childhood

Postby grumbel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi,

I am in the search for an old post-apocalyptic movie from my childhood that managed to stick around in my brain for the last 20 years, trouble is that my memory of it is rather vague and I don't think I have seen the thing in full, so I am not even sure if it was an actual movie or a part of a TV series. My memory might also have gotten mixed up over the years so the following details might in part be completely wrong. Anyway, what I remember is the following:

The thing aired in Germany some when around 1985-1990 (plus/minus a few years) and portrait the the aftermath of some form of catastrophe/virus outbreak in the current day that causes people to die by a condition that I associate with rapid aging, but it might as well have been something like radiation poising that causes similar symptoms (bad skin, gray hair). The story or better the two scenes I remember of the thing focused on a small group teenager that was traveling around. In one scene they are basically traveling around through the neighborhood and find an old man that has died. In the other scene they meet up with another survivor, a girl I think, they find shelter for the night somewhere and the next morning that girl has died of the same condition as the rest of the people. I don't remember any kind of zombies or other aggressors, it was more about just the exploration and how to survive. And I think there might have been an uncertainty who will survive, as unlike many other virus-based post-apocalyptic scenarios, the survivors didn't seem to be completely immune to whatever happened. I also don't remember any alive adults, so it might be that they have all been wiped out.

I have already gone through a bunch of stuff, but so far I haven't found a match. Movies like "The Stand", "Testament" or "Survivors" TV series however come close to what I remember of the general setting and atmosphere.
grumbel

Re: Searching for a movie/series from my childhood

Postby grumbel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 am

I think I might have found it:

Setting, date and illness fits. I haven't been able to find much material from the movie, so not 100% sure, but it certainly gets by far the closest of everything that I have looked at so far.

Edit: Confirmed, its the movie, this thread (in german) describes the exact scene I had in mind. The movie was only aired once ever and didn't had a DVD or VHS release, so its not cheap to get, only way seem to be to order it from the TV stations archive (ZDF) for 50EUR.
grumbel

Postby zombieja » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Grumbel,

That movie was based on the young adult book of the same name (Empty World) by John Christoper. It's one of my favorites and if you haven't read it yet, you should check it out. I wish that Leere Welt would have been translated and released on VHS or DVD as I'd love to have a copy.
zombieja

Postby quietearth » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:59 am

Is there a copy of this with English subtitles anywhere? I've never been able to find one.
"We're fans first, journalists second."
quietearth
Site Admin

Return to Everything Post Apocalyptic