Embervese Books 4, 5, etc.

Discuss everything PA.

Moderators: agentorange, wa5

Embervese Books 4, 5, etc.

Postby SeeminglySquare » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling is an amazing apocalyptic story, I loved it. But by the time you are 20+ years after the change though it just seems more like an alternate history novel, or fantasy.

I'm still reading the books and the changes in people and society is interesting and all that. But I was wondering is anyone else still reading them or did you stop after it started into fantasy?

I just started book six and book seven is out.
"Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless"
SeeminglySquare

Re: Embervese Books 4, 5, etc.

Postby scourgewriter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:18 am

I totally agree. The first 3 books had me hooked completely. I read Dies the Fire and Protector's War 3 times and Meeting at Corvallis twice. I loved Sunrise Lands, too. But I have found myself less enthralled by the last few books. There are probably a few reasons for this.
1. change in generational point of view (POV)
The first 3 books took place at the time of the Change and the first 10 years afterwards and is written from the pre-Change generation POV primarily. In other words, the characters were from our world and were thrown into that world. Their POVs would naturally appeal to me. The later books are mostly the Changlings' POV, which is interesting how they intrepret the ruins, and it is neat to see the contrast between the two generations, yet I find them less believable and less sympathetic, which brings me to point 2.
2. change in genre
You are correct. The series moved from post apocalyptic to fantasy. I suppose after 20 years, as there is a new normal, Stirling didn't want to keep harping on the post apocalyptic, especially with a new generation who see their surroundings as normal. That makes sense. He intentionally moves the genre to fantasy, summoning the Lords of the Rings as he does. I guess this is where I begin to lose interest. Lot's of people love fantasy, and it's an awesome genre, but it's just not my thing. Furthermore, his characters in the second Emberverse series are a little...one dimensional. Maybe it's because it's fantasy and paying homage to Tolkein, the characters are neatly divided between good and evil.
But Rudi is sooo good and soo perfect it irks me. So, I really cannot relate to Rudi or Mathilda or Fred, and frankly, I feel less sympathy for them. They aren't messed up neurotic human beings like me, so who cares what their up against, because I know they are going to defeat whoever they come across anyway.
The more I think about it, the less enthused I am about finishing The High King of Montival.
Stirling is incredible in dealing with detail, but I also say "seriously, two more books? Really? Look, just defeat the CUT, have Rudi ascend to the Summerlands, let's all have some roasted venison, play Journey's 'Anyway you want it' on acoustic instruments of course and call it the day, already."
"Cyborgs don't feel pain. I do."
scourgewriter

Postby SeeminglySquare » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:58 am

If I had written for hours I couldn't have said it better. The only character that I really relate to in their cross-country band is Odard. He seemed to be the only one capable of a flaw.

And I'll probably finish the books because at this point I have read the Nantucket series and the Change series, but I would just like to say to Stirling "I get it already Rudi is beautiful, Mattie is homely and he loves her anyways"

Are you reading seven now?
"Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
SeeminglySquare

Postby scourgewriter » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:33 pm

I got halfway through "High King of Montival" (I think that's book 7, right?) before realizing that my mind just kept wandering off to other things like "Walking Dead" or the Antoine Dodson "Bed Intruder" song. It is such a shame, because I was absolutely obsessed with the first three books. I still say to anyone to read Dies the Fire, Protectors War and Meeting at Corvallis. Stirling did an amazing job on those and I think he was the one who opened the door to the kind of fiction dealing with the failure of technology stuff like Peak Oil, and EMPs and what not.
scourgewriter

Postby scourgewriter » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:37 pm

And yeah, Rudi's Brad Pitt hot, has abs like Jesus, and is brilliant and is the son of man and the Lord and Lady. Wow, that makes me really like him now (insert sarcastic font). Could you do me a favor and tell me how it ends?
scourgewriter

Postby SeeminglySquare » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Will do, but I'll take a stab at it and say good triumphs over evil.
"Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
SeeminglySquare

Return to Everything Post Apocalyptic