Moderator Control Panel ]

Add a Paragraph

Stories from our readers.

Moderator: wa5

Add a Paragraph

Postby wa5 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:50 am

Dont know if this will work, or if the results will be worth reading... but lets give it a go.

Add on to the story . lets say around 500 words maximum per post. and you can only post once each week. give every body a turn.

I'll set a few parameters. and post the first paragraph.

The story involves slow moving Zombies, of the Autumn Variety
it takes place in the USA, lets say the fictitious town of Ogenquit Maine.. in the middle of summer (Thank you Mr King). I dont think Frannie or Harold should make an appearance though.
We are not sure how the plage started. it seems to be airborne and has killed 99.9 percent of the population. 10 percent got up again. it started with flu like symtoms, and was slower acting than Moodys. more like captain trips.

our Hero is 21 years old, (lets call him Bill Mason :) ) and he has come to glorious Ogenquit for a long weekend at a beach house on the outskirts of town... three of his college budies came with him..

WE BEGIN.

The power's gone, I don't know how it lasted this long, I havent seen another living soul in 3 days... (is it nuclear round here?). Where do I start?
Everyone is dead, except those that are...... go on say it... Zombies. I don't know how else to describe them. They move, they stagger, but have no real conciousness, its the only word that fits.

I guess it is important to write it down, some kind of record.. I dont even know if there is anybody left to read it.

We, my three dead friends and I... came down from college for a few days of sun and surf. just a laxy weekend on the beach. Michaels parents owned a beach house here in Ogenquit.
The radio and TV both started giving reports on Saturday morning about some kind of flu that had broken out all over the country, they said it was pretty bad, and people should stay home if they could, to stop it speading.

END.............
wa5

Re: Add a Paragraph

Postby Saxon Dog » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:39 am

Made my first kill today! Easier than I'd imagined, but it still scared the crap out of me. Stupid zombie crashed thru the big front picture window while I was trying to cook something for lunch. I started out of the kitchen to see what the noise was, and I had this big butcher knife in my hand. He came around a corner and without even thinking much I stuck that knife in his mouth, and it just slid thru out the back of his head. He dropped like a sack of rocks. Then I jumped around for 10 minutes til the adrenaliene wore off!! Spent the rest of the afternoon looking for a gun in the houses back away from the beach. I thought everyone in Maine was a hunter or something. No luck yet. Have to find another place to sack out tonite, since the window is broke.
WHAT ELSE COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
Saxon Dog

Postby donc48 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:45 pm

The town is mostly a collection of bodies and cars. The heavy wet smell of death in some places is unbearable, I avoid the walking dead pretty easily. I collect food water look for survivors but so far no luck. I keep searching for a house that isn’t too big that will be easy to secure, and doesn’t have large windows. I also look for a gun this turns out to be harder than I thought it would be.

Finally I found a place, and a gun the place is a small shotgun house on the out skirts of town. The gun is a .45 caliber semi auto I think it’s a Glock I know it .45 caliber because the ammunition says so on the bottom, I have maybe sixty rounds, I’ll count them later. I give the place a quick out side once over the shadows are getting long it’ll be dark soon and I want to be indoors before night arrives.

Before I go inside I slip off my backpack it falls heavily onto the badly over grown lawn. It’s full of water, canned food, a package of new underwear, baby wipes a can opener a full and a partly empty box of bullets. Have a close look at the pistol it’s lighter than it looks, it’s black and shines dully in the fading sun it's a Glock the name is spelled out on the barrel. I find the safety and flick it off. I have a vague idea how semi auto's pistols work I wish I found something simpler like a .38 or a shotgun.

I get a bullet in the chamber but not after one pops out, I bend down and retrieve the wayward bullet I make a mental note to find something simpler.
:mrgreen:
You cannot win a bet on the end of the world. You're either wrong and lose your money or you're right and can't collect your winnings.

Karl Denninger
donc48

Postby wa5 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 am

My "shack" has turned out to be fairly well found. it has a rain water tank, and a septic toilet, so no troubles there.. with everything else thats happening, I dont need sewer backing up due to no water... and all the nasty diseases such problems could bring.

I have also procured a gas camping stove, at least my crappy canned food can be warmed up..

So pretty handy since the power and town water ended.

My HQs' location is also reasonably safe.., not a lot of homes in this immediate area, so not a lot of walking dead around here. there are quitew in the middle of town, I have to keep my wits about me on my foraging trips.

I have been observeing the "zombies" during my outings, most of them move quite slowly, at about the speed my great grandma would shuffle along at, they dont seem very co-ordinated, their sight and hearing seems to be about on par with grandmas' too..

This isn't a hard and fast rule though, The one I mentioned earlier (the one I re killed) moved a bit faster, I would guess he came at me at a brisk walk, though I was a little panicked, I was more interested in protecting myself than seeing how quick he could cover the hundred.

The one constant with all of "them" is that they always seem try to "get at me" when they notice me.. They grab, they try to bite..... and that is what scares me the most... is their bite infectious? .. I mean Zombie infectious... even if its not, I would rather not be bitten by a rotting corpse. I cant just roll up at the surgery and ask for a rabies/ tetanus or God knows what else... shot...

I guess I will have to make some plans, try and find other survivors, please God let there be other survivors..

END.
wa5

Postby wa5 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:07 am

Whats the use in getting up? may as well stay in bed all day.. don't even know why I'm writing this down.. theres no one left.. I tried a battery S/W radio.. kept running up and down the dial all through the night... Nothing, nothing anywhere.

Screw it, I have a bottle of Scotch, I'm off to get smashed.

Thats all.
wa5

Postby wa5 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:40 am

I swear, I'll never drink again.... More when I'm able.
wa5

Postby wa5 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 am

still not feeling well, last few days, just a blur, gotta clean up my act, I cant stay drunk for ever, for one thing, I am just not that "good ' at drinking.. I think that if I ever go through that much booze again, I will not live.

I am still a bit down, but I cant stay here, I have to get moving, this place is disgusting, some drunken moron has thown up in almost every room.... I"ll leave as soon as I'm able...

I will be heading west, I shall try to avoid larger cities, I have no real goal, I just need to be somewhere else.

More later.
wa5

Postby wa5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Found a car, Suzuki Samurai, it is small enough to fit through most gaps and has 4wd so it can go off road if I have to go around a traffic jam (funny thing, just from riding around town and out to the interstate on "my" bicycle today, there doesnt seem to be a lot of stalled cars... I guess when people got sick, they tried to make it indoors.... mostly).

I found some tinned food and new bedding, and a GPS unit for the car... I wonder how long the satellites will keep working....

I had to be really careful on my shopping trips, the "Z" people are really starting to take notice of me... even if they dont see or hear me in action, Even if I'm standing still, they seem to register that I am "different " to them, and shamble my way...
It not too hard to elude them, fastest ones I've seen cant go faster than a brisk walk.. but if there were lots of them... then you might be in trouble...

heading out of town, to a nice quiet section of the beach for one last swim, and then I'm off.. wish me luck dear diary :) .

come on people ... chime in, this thing aint gonna write itself..
wa5

Postby MightyPeculiar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:37 pm

I found the first problem with my new ride: The gas gauge doesn't work. I was about to drive out of this old, run down hell hole with all my new supplies, when I ran out of gas just on the outskirts. How could I forget gas? I had to walk all the way back into town just to find a station I could tap into, but not without getting it all over myself.

I rounded the hill over looking my car, when I saw in the distance a moving truck sputtering down the road. I could barely believe what I was seeing. More survivors? I took a few steps down the hill towards my car. The bullet flung dirt and grass at me before I could see the flash from the truck. I dropped one of my gas cans in shock, and backed up. I put my arms in the air. Whoever was in the truck probably thought I was just another walking corpse. At least that's what I assumed, until they fired on me once again. I turned and ran to the otherside of the hill, and ducked down as I heard yet another shot. I checked myself, I was fine. I heard the truck come to stop, not too far from my car. The doors opened, and I heard boots land on the asphalt.

I peaked over the hill, keeping as close to it as I could. There were six of them, maybe more still inside. Each of them brandishing guns of various sizes. I dug in my pockets, searching for my gun, but it wasn't there. I had it at the gas station. I knew I had to, I had shot a zombie that got too close as I was leaving. But when I needed it, my pistol was nowhere to be found. I looked back over the hill, just faintly I could see the glimmer of its steel next to the gas can.

But I couldn't risk running out to grab it. They would have put me down far too fast. They had the drop on me, and I was screwed no matter what. I sat and cursed everything for a second, and then got on my feet and ran back to the cover of a local burger joint. I broke open the lock and found a closet to hide in. I spent what felt like hours in there, the whole time hearing them make a ton of noise outside. Once the noises had stopped, I waited another hour before I went out. The gas can, and my gun, were both gone.

I broke the windows of the burger joint in anger. But I couldn't do anything about it now. I got back to my car, filled it up with my remaining can, and drove off as fast as I could, hoping I wouldn't have to see Ogenquit again anytime soon.
MightyPeculiar

Postby wa5 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:13 am

I decided to avoid the interstates for a while, so headed due west on (hopefully quiet) country roads,

I headed West, only made 20 miles on the first day, stopped in the afternoon at the outskirts of Rochester. (wonder if thats where the carb on my Firebird came from... what will become of the old girl now... I doubt I will ever get around to restoring her)..

It was a fairly uneventful trip, out in the country, you could almost believe that it was just a quite day, closer to town, that particular fantasy soon faded....

After the mornings activities, the first thing I wanted to do, was find a better gun ... or two. I kind of lucked out, finding a Police cruiser stalled on the side of the road, its' sole occupant dead in the drivers seat .... why didn't she go home when she fell ill?... I stripped the Police officer of her service pistol, a 38 six shooter (didnt think they used those anymore?)... and the gun belt that held it, there were some extra magazines (is that the right word? I would usually Google such things.. ) and two boxes of ammo in the glove compartment... and my best find, a pump action shot gun in the trunk, also with two boxes of ammo. Being so close to a weeks dead body was not pleasant, but being caught without a decent weapon this morning was not particularly pleasant either.

My Samuri has given no further trouble, as long as I remember to fill the tank each day, I think she will be a fine steed.

The zombies (hate that word) seem pretty scarce around here, I have settled for the night into a small house, thankfully it was empty (after the poor Police lady, I dont think I could have faced any more death today)... time for a meal.. but definately no Booze.
wa5

Next

Return to Fan Fiction